Knowing how to spot antiques at thrift stores is key to start flipping them for a profit. However, you first need to know how to find good thrift store antiques. Here are the steps you can take to find the best items at your go-to thrift store.
1. Go to the Thrift Store When It is Not Busy
For you to have ample time to look around, make sure that there are little to no people in the thrift store. When you do this, you will be able to carefully assess whether there is something worth buying. You should also focus on one area at a time to avoid getting overwhelmed with all the choices that you have.
2. Allot a Good Amount of Money to Spend
You can begin selling antiques by investing a good amount of money in thrift store items. You can first try to buy the things that you think are worth something. If you were able to sell all the things you bought for a good amount of money, that shows that you are on the right track, and probably will be successful on your next try.
3. Do Your Research
It is essential to do your research when it comes to hunting for thrift store antiques. Here are all the things that you need to know to make the process easier for you.
- Know where to look. There are plenty of ways you can to know what items are worth spending money on. You can check museums near you to know what items have value. It is possible that your go-to thrift store may have something in common. You can also hit the internet to know what items can be sold or that antique collectors are looking for. You can also find good antiques at the flea markets or when you travel. On top of that, you can actually ask your loved ones if they have something valuable that they are no longer using.
- Know what to look for. When you know where to look for thrift store antiques, the next step is to know what you should be looking for in an item. You should always check for authenticity. When your product is authentic, you can be sure that good profit is coming your way. You should know how to assess a product’s quality, as well.
- Know where to sell. You should know the best channel for you to sell your antique finds. You can always opt for your social media platform or other online platforms such as Amazon, eBay, or Craigslist. If you want a platform that can directly appeal to people who collect antiques, you can look for online auctions.
4. Know How to Properly Restore or Improve Your Antique Finds
Thrift store antiques include delicate pieces of furniture or accessories. You should learn how to properly restore them to their former glory without destroying anything that makes them one of a kind. People will not take notice of your antique thrift store finds if they are not clean or pleasing to the eyes. Knowing the proper way to improve an item’s quality is a must.
5. Put the Right Price Tag on Your Antique Finds
Not knowing how to price your antique finds can be your downfall. Putting a price that is way too low may guarantee a sale, but it doesn’t mean that you will get the value that you spent on it. However, pricing it way too high will make buyers scroll past the item you’re selling. You should always consider the item’s quality, condition, historical value, and many other factors.
Starting your journey in flipping thrift store antiques doesn’t have to be overwhelming and stressful. You just have to know the basics, so you don’t go into it clueless. If you’re planning to kick start your business selling antiques, you can check the best thrift store in Destin, FL, Haven House Thrift Store. You never know, this might be the place where you discover your most profitable antique find!